Monday, October 13, 2008

Dis-Update-ation

After sending out the second draft to a small group of (almost exclusively female) friends and my two directors, it's pretty clear what needs to be done with the play: burn it and start all over.

Ha! No, even if it was crap I don't have the willpower to do such a thing. Professionalism, folks - just can't buy it in any corner store.

The draft has many characters and many lines, but it's time to trim down so that the story, themes, and ideas I would like to get across take center stage, as opposed to just shallow comedy lines. This means yet another attack with red ink, which will more than likely be the last draft of this kind before it gets into the hands of the kids at Pascack Valley.

We've also gone over the schedule to decide what works best for the PV kids, myself, Tom and Mer, and the hopefully captive audience who surely wants to knock down the doors to come see this. While I don't have exact dates (merely because I forgot, remember that professionalism bit up there?), here's a general schedule:

-PV kids get a gander at the play a week after their fall drama, Museum, roughly before Thanksgiving.
-General public gets to hear it in early January during a reading, with the cast on stage, scripts in hands, sitting in 30 or so chairs.
-General public gets both audio and visual stimulation in early May, when the play is staged and put up for the first time in the history of the world, mankind, seeing eye dogs, etc. etc.

There's a lot of time between January and now, so every few days I'll be putting up a detailed sketch of each and every character. Mostly, it will be likes/dislikes of their music, movies, TV shows, websites, and a bit of a bio on each one. This lets you, the faithful blog reader, in to who these characters are, and allows me, the faithful writer, to get an even better grasp of who these characters are.

I'm still not sure if I should do it in any specific direction (ie from least lines to most lines or the other way around, alphabetical) so I'll probably just do it at random, as there are no small parts, just small people, like Mini-Me.

No comments: