Saturday, March 28, 2009

Like Kevin Garnett (or Seuss) Anything Is Possible

I have recently returned from watching the Pascack Valley High School musical, [i]Seussical[/i] and yet again I was just completely blown away by the talent bursting off the stage. I sat in awe at the performance itself, but in the back of my mind, was selfishly going nuts. "I can't believe they are doing [i]my play[/i]." It seems almost unfair. When you first start as a writer, or an anything for that matter, you have to slum your way through, pay your dues, and after some time THEN you are afforded the opportunity to work with wonderful talent.

I've somehow skipped a few beats.

I can't believe Katherine is going to be Sarah. I can't believe that Lenny is going to cram so much into Nathaniel. I can't believe that Liz, with her wonderful voice, will be relegated to so few lines, that Gabby can't act like a monkey. And on, and on, and on down the list. At every turn during the show, with every costume (or character) change, for every button line and wonderful look, I was bowled over by just how lucky I am. The show teaches everyone to be happy for where you are and what you're doing, and that we normally don't look at the things we have, but rather what we don't, and that's how we view our lives.

I absolutely cannot believe how lucky I am to be graced with such an amazing cast. My words are my words, whatever. These performances could elevate them to something truly special. I have really stopped caring about how a play of mine will be put up, but rather how well PV will be able to do pull it off. It's an honor and a blessing to get the opportunity; it's an embarrassment of riches to have a cast like this.

For everyone who was on stage for [i]Seussical[/i] and in my cast, thank you for taking interest in my work. For all of those who weren't on stage, your presence was missed, and I can't wait for that to be rectified on the 25th.

We'll see each other on Tuesday (Maja's birthday !), and you'll be tired, half dead, and over-worked, and I will be overjoyed.

No comments: