Sunday, April 19, 2009

Birthday Post!

So what do I do on my birthday? I don't get a gift. No, in return, on this day of days, I decide to give you a gift instead. The greatest gift of all!

A BLOG POST! HURRAH!!!

Well actually that's not entirely true. I was able to watch a partial run of the play and, as per the advice of the directors, I have some notes and some script corrections. I'll get the latter out of the way first....

SCRIPT CORRECTIONS:

- WILL: Since the "set-up for a really bad joke" has been cut, there's a gap of time where you don't say anything before Eric launches into "Well I have this cat named Alison." So now, after you're asked if you've "been around any cats," you will try to contribute by saying, "I have a dog...?" before Eric realizes he doesn't care what your answer is and goes "Well I have this cat named Alison."
- ERIC: Cut the Fett joke after the Friend Zone/Inescapable Abyss section. It's tacked on as a plus-one and it doesn't work as anything more than "OH HAY ITZ A STAR WARZ REFERENCE IVE SEEN THAT MOVIE 2!!!!" and it makes me vomit in my mouth every time I hear it. Shouldn't have put it in in the first place, so pardon.

Now, for the run notes, this is my first time really seeing, oh, any of this on its feet, so I couldn't pay as close attention to everyone on stage. Please be advised that if I don't have a note for you, it doesn't mean that you're not doing well or aren't going to be precious to people in the audience. I'll have a better sense of that tomorrow with a full run and one session under my belt. Huzzah! Onto the notes....


- Crew: Those tiny four foot ladders are simply adorable.
- JJ: Your posing before meeting Will is wonderful, especially your positioning in relation to the group.
- General: Just so you all know, the "Or maybe it's a D" joke was not intended to be a joke about breasts. So my note is to get your heads out of the gutter. Thank you kindly. (...And keep it.)
- Frank: Perfect read and reaction on "I have to get my money back."
- Liz: I never had you in the middle of Alison/Will scene, but I'll be damned if it didn't make everything much more interesting. Also, have you seen Persepolis? As you were rockin' out you looked just like a section when the main character is rocking out. If you haven't seen it, see it ASAP - that goes for all of you.
- Ali K: Originally you'd be giving The Finger to Will, but the point and stare is better in character and much, much funnier. Also, don't stare at people and clap like you're a wind-up toy. It's a bit disconcerting.
- Katherine: I could listen to you say "LOL!" all day. Actually, after a while that might turn me into Alison. Once every hour, like a Grandfather clock.
- Maja: I only got a scene of you, but I loved the eye contact bit, your big laugh for Alison, the OTHER eye contact bit later on, and the final "aay" on "R.A." So yeah, enjoyed most of the things you did.
- Tara: It seems like the bathroom stalls are ready, so I'm quite excited to see what you will be doing with Jen. This run was also barren of Barron, good Rachel bits, and I haven't seen Jen M. yet. Mmmm Monday.
- Brandon: Your "EDEN!??!" and the "woooow" after "mantis" made me giggle like an idiot.
- Sam: Enjoy the reaction to "me Jane!" Slow, slow burn....
- Frank: I pictured Eric more like Damone in Fast Times, slower, lower register. And while you do have to slow down in sections, I enjoy how you're making Eric into a more excited, energetic freak. It's a different kind of take, and it makes the character more interesting.
- Christine: Very much enjoy your freakouts, but where is the squeal bit with Alison! Eeeee!!
- JJ: Like when you point the three or four "no's" at the improperly-dressed ladies. It was odd to re-write (add) to that scene then hear the old version.
- Katherine: You're such an asshole to Will and it's great. The "ew, no" made my heart grow three times that day.
- Madison: Your character voice for Lauren is great. A slightly sarcastic tone. It's an odd note, but it jumped out at me while I was writing a note (and then had to write this one, "so wonderfully sardonic").
- Liz: Welp, I can hear you loud and clear.
- Ali B: Congratulations on learning how to laugh. We all know you could do it !
- Sam: Your "huhmuhmuh" while getting the DVDs out during the "burst" line made me giggle heartily.
- Alyssa: You have a very tiny "no!" in response to Meg trying to burn down the house, and I noticed it and was a fan (especially with the book gripped in your arms into your chest).
- Jacky: You get me every time when you grab/hug Alison and put your head on her shoulder as you enter. It's great.

Oh yeah, and
Kelsey: You have a complicated part with a lot of subtle beat changes and little jokes that take time to tinker with, and you're making it look effortless. Great, great work.

Ok, time for some birfday bagels. If you haven't gotten an invite yet, the facebook invite for the show can be found here.

See y'all tomorrow!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I HAVE seen Persepolis and read the book. It's one of my favorite movies and I know exactly what part you're talking about, haha.