Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Meet: Hillary, Jolene, and Kris

Name: Hillary

Location: Manhattan, NY (Upper East Side on the corner of 89th and Lex if you would like specifics). If interested, I do accept visitors, but I would have to clear it with Leonard, the doorman, first.

Household: I have a nuclear family consisting of my mother, a lawyer, and my father, a lawyer. They work at competing firms, so things are always up for grabs at my house. I have an older brother who is finishing a semester abroad in Finland with like-minded students from Yale and a little sister who is executive president at the school the entire family attended, as only an 8th grader, again; like the rest of the family.

Fav. Music: I find listening to music purely for the purpose of entertainment to be self-indulgent and a general waste of time, as well as brain capacity. However, I will throw on some music in the background, specifically Mozart, Bach, and, if I’m feeling randy, some John Coltrain (only if mother is not at home).

Fav. Movies: I prefer the term “films,” as I do not watch movies. My preferences are for foreign films, such as À bout de soufflé (Breathless) (1960), La Régle du jeu (Rules of the Game) (1939), and Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) (1948). They both inform as well as entertain, and allow me to keep up on my knowledge of foreign tongues (French, Italian, Latin, etc.).

Fav. TV Show: Ha!

Fav. Sites: I do not know how many “sites” I traverse on a given day, but Google.com and Wikipedia.org I frequent most often, if I had to guess.

Fav. Books: Dante – The Inferno, John Milton – Paradise Lost, Shelley – Frankenstein (but only the 1818 text), Homer – The Iliad as well as The Odyssey, Machiavelli – The Prince, Hillary Clinton – It Takes A Village, Barack Obama – The Au…I’m sorry, I couldn’t finish that with a straight face, let alone type it.

Personal Note: I hope I’m challenged more here than at prep school, as I know Harvard Law will be difficult and I need to receive adequate training to prepare myself.


Name: Jolene

Location: Atlanta, Georgia, specifically beautiful Buckhead

Household: I live with my mom, as my Dad lives in a condo on the other side of Atlanta. I’ve got a little brother and he’s a pain in the ass. He came from my mom’s second marriage. That guy lives a few blocks away.

Fav. Music: T.I. is the best. Li’l John, Ne-Yo, Kanye, Li’l Wayne (wheezy!), and a local band down here, The Whigs, I’m pretty partial to.

Fav. Movies: I like some pretty random stuff, like ATL, Toy Story (even though it’s kinda gay), The Notebook, Dirty Dancing is my fav, prolly.

Fav. TV Show: I love love LOVE The Hills, Gossip Girl, Paris’ new BFF cuz the girls are sooooo dumb, um, that’s it I guess. OH! The Chappelle’s Show. That ish is mad phunnie.

Fav. Sites: I dunno I kinda click places.

Fav. Books: US Weekly, People. Those are books rite? lol I mean they look like books!

Personal Statement: I wanna have nights I can’t remember with the people I can’t forget.


Name: Kris

Location: Chicago

Household: Full of children, even though two of them are considered my parents

Fav. Music: Fiery Furnaces, Noah and the Whale, St. Vincent, Broken Social Scene, Feist, Nicole Atkins, Cansei Der Se Sexy, Of Montreal, Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, Iron & Wine, Arcade Fire, The Shins, Pavement, Chromeo, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sufjan Stevens, I’m From Barcelona, Fiona Apple, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, MGMT, Foals, The National, Justice, Ting Tings, Tapes and Tapes, Architecture in Helsinki, Chairlift, Los Campesinos, Ra Ra Riot, Sex Pistols, and the Ramones. I used to like Vampire Weekend, Interpol, I’m From Barcelona, and Brazilian Girls but I’m over them now.

Fav. Movies: A Clockwork Orange, Manhattan, High Fidelity, Fight Club, Rushmore, Life Aquatic, American Psycho, Boondock Saints, Chasing Amy, Almost Famous, Wet Hot, The Last Waltz, Stop Making Sense

Fav. TV Show: clips from 120 Minutes on youtube, Simpsons, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen (mostly), Frisky Dingo, Colbert, Attack of the Show, South Park

Fav. Sites: pitchforkmedia.com, allmusic.com, rollingstone (ha!), metacritic

Fav. Books: On The Road, Choke (Palahniuk), Slaughterhouse Five, Fahrenheit 451, Cather in the Rye

Personal Statement: ....

No comments: